Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums RealDoll Discussion moving a doll upstairs/downstairs

• moving a doll upstairs/downstairs

• Natalies-soon.to.be.Guy

January 6, 2024 at 8:56 pm

I have Natalie on order and she should be ready in a few months. I am handicapped and am looking to see if anyone has any tips for getting their doll up and down stairs. I ordered the petite body so she should be about 60 pounds, but still I imagine challenges to moving her around. Thank You!

• trevor-0530

January 18, 2024 at 2:04 pm

I guess that depends on your stairs. In a house without landings? (Mine are a straight shot.) House with landings? Turning might be difficult. I’ve thought about it a bit. I’m not handicapped, so I think I would use a hand truck (dolly) or possibly an appliance dolly (you know, for moving refrigerators) they have the belt for securing the load and the little tracks on the back above the wheels to ease climbing stairs. If you have one of those stair climbing chairs, I’d use that for her.

Failing that, maybe some kind of sled like piano movers use (flat bottomed pallet), although modified to the size required for the doll.

Carrying her directly is probably not the best method….

Stairs with landing would preclude a sled as it would be quite long and negotiating the corner could cause the sled to tip resulting in disaster. In that case you’d need something smaller such as the appliance dolly.

I suspect the shipping box (crate) would be sufficient as a sled for moving up and down stairs, though larger and heavier probably than it needs to be.

I bought a cheap wheelchair to move my doll around on. I found out my house is NOT ADA compliant, at all. But, with the large wheels I expect that might be a way to move up and down stairs, but I feel that’s riskier than a dolly of some sort.

January 18, 2024 at 10:27 pm

Trevor-0530,

Thanks for your advice, I think the appliance dolly is a great idea, I could get a small one and maybe mount one of those plastic, body formed go-cart seats, with a seatbelt and shoulder harness to it. I can get a full sized suitcase up and down the stairs in this fashion, I think the max weight for airplane checked baggage is 35lbs, so she would be about twice that with the added weight of the dolly. My stairs are in two parts, about 5 steps on the bottom and another 10 or so 90 degrees to the left.

This made me remember what could be anther option, I work at a place in a two story building, and quite a while back we got these special chairs to get handicapped people down the stairs in case of a fire. I remember when they first arrived we had a class and I was the test subject who sat in the chair for people to learn how to use them. I never tumbled down the stairs so this might work. I also never was the one lowering anyone down. Although; I don’t know if they would work going back up? Does anyone have experience with these rescue chairs, and are they durable enough for long term transportation on the stairs?

I already have a wheel chair to get her around down stairs, so that will help us. I am picking up Natalie personally, so I won’t have a crate. I don’t believe I could get her into the house with the crate though I have seen videos where they state the crate adds around a hundred pounds to her. I can get her from the car into the house in the wheel chair. I just wish I would be able to pick her up, and carry her over the threshold…

Thanks for your input!

• trevor-0530

January 21, 2024 at 3:44 pm

You’re quite welcome. I hope it helped.

When I mentioned stair climbing stairs, I was thinking of a stair chair lift (I guess they’re called). There’s a track mounted to the wall and the subject sits in the chair. The thing is powered. I’m sure they’re quite expensive.

A different type I saw once had caterpillars on it and it just drove up and down stairs, not across the floor or anything. The rubber tracks had large cutouts for gripping the corners of the stair treads.

It seems like a modified appliance dolly would be the ticket for expediency and cost.

January 21, 2024 at 8:22 pm

I found an evacuation chair on Amazon for $277, a little more than I wanted to pay. It says it will work for up and down the stairs and support up to 400 lbs ( Natalie is only going to be 60 lbs. ), and it has fold out wheels for moving around on flat surfaces. My wheelchair will be good for moving Natalie around downstairs, but I also need to get her around upstairs so I think this will be worth the price. It isn’t arriving until March, but Natalie is not going to be here until, I’m told June. So I can try it out with a 60 lbs bag of sand or something, just to make sure I can do it. Amazon says it weighs 31 lbs, which puts the total weight just under 100 lbs. I just want to make sure Natalie doesn’t go careening down the stairs… She wouldn’t be happy with me I’m sure ;(.

• trevor-0530

January 22, 2024 at 11:24 am

I hope the evacuation chair works for you.

I’m fairly certain that “careening down the stairs” would make anyone unhappy…

• trevor-0530

January 24, 2024 at 1:25 pm

I just tried to move a ~100 lbs. doll up and down stairs with a wheelchair. Going down was easy enough, but coming up, not so much. I just carried her up the stairs instead of trying to wheel her up.

So, wheelchair stair navigation not such a great idea.

January 27, 2024 at 3:04 am

Thanks for testing this, I really appreciate that you would do that. I just posted a picture of the chair I ordered to get her up and down the stairs. There is no way I would be able to carry her up or down, I would have to sit side by side with her and we would scoot up, step by step. Even with this evacuation chair I will have to sit down and lower her, or raise her; while I move up or down each step myself.

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies